POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Transparent plane with non-transparent shadows? : Re: Transparent plane with non-transparent shadows? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 16:21:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Transparent plane with non-transparent shadows?
From: bob h
Date: 7 Dec 2001 11:54:01
Message: <3c10f429@news.povray.org>
news:3c10b516@news.povray.org...
> bob h <omn### [at] charternet> wrote:
> : Maybe  no_image  is all you need to put in the plane.
>
>   If you don't see the plane, you don't see the shadow cast onto it
either...

You might have misunderstood the idea, or maybe I did.  If it's about using
a transparent object to cast a shadow onto a nontransparent object then the
following should do okay.

camera {
  location  -100*z
        orthographic
  right x*image_width/image_height
  look_at   0
}

box {
  -<image_width,image_height,0>/2,<image_width,image_height,50>/2
  pigment {rgb <0,1,0>}
  finish {ambient .25 diffuse .75}
}

#declare Icons=
box {
  -<image_width,image_height,0>/2,<image_width,image_height,0>/2
  pigment {image_map {"shadows" map_type 0 once transmit 24, 1}
        translate <-.5,-.5,0> scale <image_width,image_height,1>
  }
  finish {ambient 1 diffuse 0}
  translate <0,0,-2>
}

//union {
light_source {
  0,
  1.5
  area_light <150,0,0>,<0,150,0>,4,4 jitter
  translate -1000*z
  rotate <45,45,0>
}

object {Icons no_image}

This is how I made the drop-shadow for my desktop icons which were imaged by
screen capture first then the solid background color made transparent.
I was also thinking this could be done with the "tiny scaled and near light"
trick to leave the actual object out of view.
The other way the concept could be interpreted is for the object where the
shadow falls across to be transparent yet still show that shadow on it.
Thinking maybe this is what got conveyed but having read the original
message again it sounds more like what I first thought.
--
text{ttf"arial","bob h",.1,0pigment{rgb 9}translate<-1,-.2,3>}